Friday, September 30, 2011

Sock Friends


Hi.  This is Stinky V (left) and his pal...what's his name.  Or her name.  I'm not sure yet.  Stinky V was so named because he was my first sock friend, and his blue button eye says "Valentino" (love those thrift store finds!).  So he became Stinky V and the second creature doesn't really have a name yet.
The faded green sock is a lizard.  A kind of funny one, because the arms, legs, and tail are all black because there was only one green sock to be found.  (Spunky says the orphan socks go through a hole and are shot into outer space.  Who am I to argue?!!)
I've been reading books on doll-making techniques and have seen a bunch of lessons on soft doll face sculpturing, where you use your needle and thread to "sculpt" the faces, then color them (or paint them or whatever).  Not that I am interested in doing that, but I used that kind of technique to "pull" the sock fabric up on the top of the head and down the tail for the spines/ridge/crest (or whatever you call it).  It was fun to figure that out.  Another tool in the ol' toolbox!
Sunshine got to take them on a walk (they were in the stroller - she walked).  The more I look at the lizard the more it looks to me like a girl.  Maybe I should dress them?  Overalls for blue Stinky V and a frilly dress for the lizard?  Oh, but we really need to name that one.  She'll probably end up as Lola. Or Lizzy.
Yep, Spunky likes them, too!  (See?  Not all soft toys are for girls...)

Have a happy weekend,
:) Caren

1 comment: