I received a great deal of gorgeous fabrics from my bloggy friend Brooke (Silly Mama Quilts) a few weeks ago and some of it was already pieced together. I know Brooke makes some top knotch quilted items (mug rugs, table runners, quilts, etc.), but I decided to go altogether different with this material. This Patchwork Horse seemed just the thing!
If you haven't been following my blog, I'll catch you up: I like making soft toys! I ran across this Patchwork Horse pattern in a book entitled "More Softies Only a Mother Could Love", and knew it was time to try my hand at this thing called button jointing.
(Please excuse my off-kilter photography - my point and shoot skills are pretty basic.) The buttons on this horse are not just for show. I threaded my 3-inch doll needle with some extra strong thread and sewed them completely through the body, to the opposite leg. When it's all said and done, the legs can move around!
See?!!
If you can't tell from the photos, the fabrics are all Christmas-y (Basic Grey's Fruitcake, Figgy Pudding, etc.). The legs, mane and tail are all from a vintage pillowcase.
Look at that MANE!!! It's spectacular. I really like the raggedy, raw edges. And the ears - I chose one red and one green. Don't think anyone will notice, but since it's a Christmas horse I thought it fitting (maybe I should have made reindeer instead?!!!)
Patchwork Horse (pattern by Abby Glassenberg - http://www.whileshenaps.typepad.com) |
I am really excited about button jointing now. It won't happen with all of my soft toys, but I love having a new "tool" in my toolbox. So thanks, Abby, for the instruction, and thanks, Brooke, for sending me such a wonderful assortment of fabrics, and for quilting with quality (I'd have been really bummed if the stitches didn't hold up to my stuffing - I really pack it in there!)


I love this horse. I just ordered the book!
ReplyDeleteHow cute is this horse?? Good Job!! Thanks for sharing him with us :)
ReplyDeleteAhhh... he's so cute! Kudos!
ReplyDeleteThis is adorable!
ReplyDelete