Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where Do You Find Inspiration?

I am a terrible artist.  Really.  In fact, I think my five year old draws better than I do.  So when I am going to make a new stuffed animal pattern I usually do my research on the animal/image I am thinking about (I like to see how others have interpreted them visually).  

So that leads me to my question.  Occasionally I use other people's artwork as my inspiration.  Is that ok?  I mean, I really like childrens books.  Like this one I stumbled upon at the library yesterday:
Bumbletum can be purchased here
Bumbletum.  Seriously, how cute is this little guy?  I'm totally in love.  And the story is about a soft toy that is really great at HUGGING.  So who wouldn't love a stuffie that is a great hugger?  (especially one as adorable as this!).  

So the question then becomes - is it ok to make someone else's illustration into a 3D soft toy?  

Can I tell you a secret?  I have been flirting with thoughts of opening a little shop on Etsy sometime in the future.  The distant future (as in - hey, can I get the kids in school first?!!!).  Its not like I'll be making a huge amount of toys, nor would I be making a huge amount of money.   Just thinking about how all of this stuff goes together, and wanting to give credit where it is due.  And if I can, I'd like to track the illustrator down and ask permission (I'd definitely list the source on my shop page even if I couldn't find the illustrator).

I've also been looking at soft toy books, to try to get more of an education on different methods of construction and layouts for the soft toys.  I know that in the end some of my creations will look similar to some of those, at least construction-wise.  That's to be expected, though, since there are only a limited amount of ways to make soft toys.  

I just want to walk in integrity in everyday life as well as in business practice (if the toy shop ever becomes reality), you know?  So if you have any thoughts, please let me know.  Thanks bunches!

:) Caren

2 comments:

  1. Open a shop!!!
    I love how you interpret stuffed animals!!
    What inspires me, everything!! Many times just taking some time to think and new ideas pop in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brooke. With the kiddos being so young it's difficult for me to "take some time to think", ya know?!! :)

    ReplyDelete