Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Buckeye Princess

I was invited to be a pattern tester.  And for some insane reason I said yes.  I mean, my work with clothing is limited for a reason, folks!  I see a pattern and I get a headache by the time I get to the measurements and cutting list (yep, same reason I don't quilt).
So anyway, after a couple weeks(!) of thinking over the possibilities for fabrics, I decided to make my little princess dress for a Buckeye - an Ohio State Buckeye, that is.  Yep, we live in Ohio.  And Sunshine's daddy (aka - my husband) is a Buckeye fan.  So I went for the best scarlet and gray I could find.  (Pretty sweet scarlet & gray, though, right?!!!)
So back to the whole pattern testing thing.  I figured out a lot of things through this adventure:

1.  I like to embroider, but only if I know it is actually going to be used/seen (i.e. - on a dress that won't ever fit - why waste the time?).  ps - my embroidery was not complete along the lacing in these pictures).

2.  I get nervous trying to figure out colors/fabrics.  I really can not seem to "picture" fabrics in other contexts.  Funny, huh?  I'm not a "visionary" with regards to fabrics and colors.  I guess that's got an "up" side, too - I get surprised with the end result!

3.  I get REALLY nervous cutting into "good" fabric.  You know, the kind with a designer label.  The kind you can't find at the thrift store or the remnant bin at JoAnns.  (If you're wondering, my fabric is a combination of Rendezvous and Nature Elements that I got from Julie at The Intrepid Thread.) 

4.  My designs typically come from a random idea, story, need, or even a fabric.  Not a pattern.  I am NOT a by-the-book creator.  I'm messy.  I color outside the lines.  I don't measure unless I have to.  I use "whatever" seam allowances.

5.  I get REALLY REALLY nervous about using someone else's pattern.  Especially if I know they're counting on me to follow it faithfully.  My insecurities abound, because I want to do things right.  I know the person who wrote this pattern is wanting my honest input, and I want to give it (and not screw up something she has worked hard on!)

6.  And though I knew this one before: I am only marginally better than  I used to be at sewing in a straight line!
So I struggled a bit with this pattern testing thing.  It is a sweet pattern - and it really did turn out beautiful.  And in the end, it was a good (growing) experience for me.  It gave me confidence not to shrink away from future projects that might involve patterns, exact measurements, and/or cutting into really GOOD fabric!  

Who knows? Maybe I'll try tackling a quilt one of these days...
                                                      
                                       ... but not today ;)

Here's a smile from my Buckeye Princess to you!

:) Caren



2 comments:

  1. so, so stinkin' cute!! You did a great job! You also learned some things along the way, so it was beneficial. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable and the dress turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete