Sunday, September 9, 2012

Embroidery Firsts

I have been working on making some fabric postcards lately, and I have so much to share with you!
First of all, how many of you like when you embroider something and little floss "tails" show through to the front?  I don't.  Not at all.  So this is the first time I used a tear-away stabilizer, and it worked great, plus, the extra layer helped to make that light fabric more opaque.
This is also the first time I have used a machine satin stitch.  Yep, I've never done any machine embroidery at all, just hand-work.  It didn't turn out perfect, but the theme for this project is "handmade holidays", so it totally works!
And then there is this cute reverse-applique porcupine on a scooter.  It was my first go at itty bitty words.  Can you read it?  "Hugs 25 cents"
 Here's the back.  Pretty much the same for all of them, except I wrote a little on the others.  I like my little "stamp".  That was made from printable fabric (Avery and Staples both have their own version).
Though this is not my first time working with Stick-n-Washaway product, I wanted to talk about it because I really do like it, and maybe you've not heard of it.  It is like a fabric sticky note - you stick it on, stitch through it, and then just wash it off.  I used it on this particular piece because my Spunky drew this picture (he named it "Robot Retractable Arm Malfunction" - have I mentioned how much I love that boy?!!) I really like the picture, but it was too big for a postcard, so I took a picture of it on my digital camera, uploaded it to the computer, re-sized it, and printed it right onto the Stick-n-Washaway!  Sweet, right?
(Sorry if that sounded a little like an infomercial.  I never can tell how much to share!)  Oh, but since I'm writing this in the middle of the night and that's when I tend to ramble... did you notice my buttons on the picture (above)?  Those were glued on (E-9000, not hot glue).  The picture just needed something extra....

I'd better get to bed now, or this will turn into a novel (and I wouldn't be surprised if I lost more than a few followers!). So anywhoooo, you all have a great Sunday.  I'll be praising the Lord from my piano at church.  Maybe I'll see you there!

:) Caren


1 comment: