This blog post is a reminder to myself to keep things simple.
At the moment I have a million (ish) fabulous ideas floating around in my head. I start by drafting my patterns and adding elements, and by the time I'm sewing I realize that I have made things WAY TOO COMPLICATED. Has that ever happened to you?If you haven't noticed, I get pretty excited about uncommon animals. You know, the ones that are totally unique. Yep, teddy bears and stuffed kitties are nice, but they're fairly common. A stuffed kangaroo? Now that's not as easy to find!
See, it all started with a realization that I have a baby shower to go to this Saturday (eek!). And yes, I do already have a gift to give, but it is not hand-made. So I decided I'd make a small stuffie for the new baby. Here's my sketch. A bunny. Not so difficult, right?
Ha! Then I thought - oh, I bet that baby would like a crinkly toy! So I added the crinkle factor (in this case, a sanitized pretzel bag). Then I thought - oh, one is not enough! I'll make a family!
But even before I could finish one bunny, I had a "great idea" (anyone ever seen Wallace and Gromit? "Don't worry, I have a GREAT idea!"). Yeah. A kangaroo family.
Yes! A pocket! A little joey to snuggle in it's mommy's "pouch"! Great idea!
But by then the crinkle bunny family was partially finished. So now the kangaroo daddy has been finished. So I'm kind of committed. (Or maybe someone should consider committing me!)
I mean, really - look at those ears. Gorgeous! But ouch - they were fussy!!! There's a bit of the "crinkly" in there, and then I gathered them, then the patch on the inside.... what was I thinking?! And that's only the daddy kangaroo!
And since I was already committed, I decided not to leave this poor bunny family unfinished. They deserve to be together, right? So here's mommy:
Doesn't she look happy?
And if I ever get Mrs Kangaroo and little Joey finished, I'm sure they'll look every bit as happy to be a family...
...IF, of course, I can tear daddy kangaroo away from my little Sunshine!
Have a very blessed (and uncomplicated) week! :) Caren

Too cute!
ReplyDeleteJust found you thru Keri at Quaint and Quirky - wow! Love your blog. special prayer said for you and your adorable family - my little grandson, Ezra, received that cute bag from Keri. We are that much more thankful for our little "E". So happy that God blessed you with three more little ones!
ReplyDeleteThose are so cute! I think you had better make another set for "your little sunshine"!
ReplyDeletetee hee hee - Spunky looked at the mama kangaroo and said "is that her back?". "Nope, it's her front - she doesn't have a face yet!" (sorry, I don't have a picture of her yet - I'll get a family photo shoot of them when they're finished).
ReplyDeleteThat is adorable! You should sell those. I bet a lot of kids would love them. I am a new follower from Flamingo Toes. Vicky from Mess For Less
ReplyDeleteSO pretty!! Would LOVE it if you would link this project up at my turquoise lovin' party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-13.html
ReplyDeleteYou are so good at these! The embellishments really set it off. I love the little tummy on the Momma Bunny and the face of the Daddy Kangaroo, Maybe they should just be a mixed race family!Haha!
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking @ This Week!