Felted Wool Hedgie Tutorial
cadamsCREATIONS.blogspot.com
cadamsCREATIONS.blogspot.com
I took inspiration for this little hedgie from the book Countryside Softies by Amy Adams who shares both my love for creating softies and my last name (though I do not think we are related). This pattern uses very small amounts of fabrics, and there are only a few places that call for machine sewing (the rest is hand-sewn) so this little hedgie is a great on-the-go project, and would be great for using up some of your scraps. Oh, and if you are not an expert at hand sewing, don’t fret - the stitches are all random straight stitches with embroidery floss - wonky hand-stitching just adds to the charm!
This is my very first original pattern specifically for felted wool. I like the texture of the wool; it gives a warm but rugged look to this little hedgie (and is a very forgiving fabric). The wool, by the way, came from some mens sweaters found at the thrift store. I love the look of the patching and the buttons. All the little hand-sewn details just make each hedgie so unique. Choose the colors that tickle your fancy. Follow the simple pattern I’ve drafted for you, and embellish ‘til your heart is content!
Materials:
Felted Wool [color A – light (cream), color B – dark (brown)]
Cotton Fabrics (itty bitty scraps are fine)
Two buttons* for eyes
One bigger button* for nose
Embroidery Floss
*Note: Buttons are not safe for children under 3, nor are they safe for kids older than that who are chewers (I’ve got one of those!). Buttons are (as we call them in our house) “chokeables”, so please use caution in that regard. You can easily replace the buttons with some extra wool, craft felt, or embroidery.
1. Print and cut out the pattern pieces (transfer the start/stop dots onto the fabric). Cut out the pieces, using notes on the pattern as to which fabric to use for each piece. With the exception of the underbody, cut the pieces so that there is a left and a right of each piece. One of the things I love about creating is that each piece is unique - see how my pieces don't quite line up? No problem! Just go with it and see what emerges!
2. Using a 1/8-inch seam allowance (included in the pattern pieces), machine stitch (right sides together) the body, “spines”, and face patch along the dotted lines as shown. I suggest using a small stitch length, between 15-20 stitches per inch so the seams will stay when you stuff your hedgie (wool is fairly stretchy). [If you prefer to use a different seam allowance, just add it to the pattern pieces before you cut them out.]
3. Turn your pieces right sides out and stuff the body piece with wool or polyester fiberfil.
4. Flatten the bottom of your hedgie by placing the cardboard underbody inside the body opening. On the outside of the body, hand-sew the wool underbody so that it covers the body opening. Now you should have something that resembles a slug (ha!)
5. Attach the “spines” to the top of the body (lining up the seams) with random straight stitches. When you have a few inches left to sew, stuff the spines and then finish sewing.
6. Attach the face patch. Line up the seams and position the patch as shown in the picture.
7. Sew on the buttons for the eyes and nose. See - now your hedgie has some personality!
8. With the fabric facing front and the wool on the back, sew the ear pieces together (I used straight stitches, but you can use blanket stitching if you prefer). Attach them to the head.
9. Embellish as desired, give it a name (everyone needs a name, right?!), and enjoy!
| Snoot has a heart on his spines |
| (buttons with embroidery floss add texture and the suggestion of spines) |
| Snoot & Sniffles |
| ...and Stella makes three! |
Happy Sewing! :) Caren
ps - I have previously blogged about the hedgies I made - if you want to read that post, click here.
cute, cute!! Love all the pictures too!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWhat little cuties! They look great!
ReplyDeleteGreat pattern and great tutorial! Thanks for doing this. I promise one of these days to make my own and show you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing this lovely pattern.
ReplyDelete