First off, we have the Christmas robot and the kitty with a tree. You can't see the note at the bottom very well, but it makes me chuckle. I wrote "fortunately I sew better than I sketch!!!"
Here's the kitty with the tree. It looks so different from the sketch, though the applique pieces are the same, because of the fabric and embroidery techniques I used. I wanted the kitty to be stripey. I think this fits the bill. You can't tell from the picture, but I used a backstitch for the star and a blanket stitch around the hat. I have found the perfect white button for the pompom at the tip of the hat. So assuming the kids don't take off with my button, it should be finished up tomorrow!
Here's my slightly wonky Christmas robot. I want my stockings to look handmade. Not bad quality, but just "off" enough that they can't be mistaken for mass-produced. I do all of my embroidery by hand (which was not easy on this one, since the body/arms/wheels were made from vinyl). I wanted this robot to be slightly wonky (like Wall-E after he got smooshed at the end of the movie). I think that's how we humans are. Smooshed. But God has a way of healing our hearts and putting things in place like no robot can. So I am praying that the child who receives this stocking will also receive Gods healing - way down deep in his (or her) heart.
I know I already showed you this picture, but I just love the details. I was trying to figure out how to make stitches that resembled rivets. I think this works pretty well - and I love that my 90 cent bag of embroidery floss from the thrift store had just the perfect shade of "robot grey" (my name for it). And those glasses! I can just imagine a cute little near-sighted robot going into the optometrist saying "take me to your candy cane glasses."
Next up, a chilly penguin, and a sweet kitty with her teddy bear (I'm thinking pink fuzzy fleece for the kitty). I'll keep you posted.
Chow for now! :) Caren
so, so cute!! Love your applique designs!
ReplyDeleteBeyond cute, great job! The children will LOVE them!
ReplyDelete