Hi there everyone! I finally made a lunch bag for my Spunky boy. I'm sure he didn't care that his lunch was in recycled bags (a new one each day - Giant Eagle, Ohio Thrift, Schwebels, Kroger, and even a JoAnns bag once!). It's probably good that we did that for a month (at least), because he wrote his name on a little piece of paper each day and we taped it to his lunch - great handwriting practice!
This lunch bag matches the messenger bag I made for him. See that adorable reverse appliquéd robot on the front? I like that this bag mimics the messenger bag but it's just a bit different. And can you even believe that I have ORANGE bias tape that matches perfectly? (A thrift store find - in a bag with green and [slightly yellowed] white bias tape - wonder how long THAT's been sitting around?!)
Do any of you remember this post about Spunky's Robot Messenger Bag? I entered it in an online contest. They just announced the winner. It wasn't me. I wasn't in the top 10 either, but am I surprised? Nope! ...I digress... Back on topic:
I was going to make the closure something different, but Spunky asked me for Velcro - he wanted it to be just like his book bag.
I made the lining for the bag out of a thin vinyl table cover. (Found it at a thrift store. I know, you're shocked, right?) I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be strong enough to withstand a year of lunches with Spunk, but it's held up for a week. So far so good. Just got to remember not to put it in the dryer if I wash it (hmmm...do any of you know if those table covers can be washed in a machine?)!
This is my favorite part of the bag. The cute little name tag. I wrote on the other side with a fabric pen (did you know they come in fine tips, just like a real pen?!! I was so super excited when I found that out!) and stuck it on the bag with a fun little blue cable tie.
So that's all I've got to show you of the lunch bag. I found a great tutorial for a reusable sandwich wrap, and I have some bits of robot fabric left over (and a TON of that ugly-ish green stuff I used for the lining), so maybe I'll make some of those. Not today, though. I'm ready to make some more toys!
Have a Hippity hoppity happy happy day!!!
:) Caren
So cute! Where do you live that you have a Giant Eagle? My husband is a manager there!
ReplyDeletecute, cute lunch bag!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, you can machine wash the vinyl, but I wouldn't put it in the dryer.
I put vinyl shower curtains in the dryer and they come out with NO wrinkles, ready to hang.... Love Ya!
ReplyDeleteHi! I'm a new follower and I just gave you Versatile Blogger award over at Little House of Projects. And thanks so much for being one of my followers! Jane
ReplyDeleteSo cute!! :)
ReplyDelete