Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sleepover Pals and a Mermaiden

As I have mentioned several times in previous posts, I got the Wee Wonderfuls book from the library around Christmastime, and have finally finished most of the projects I put my hand to. Today I thought I would share my finished Sleepover Pals and a Mermaiden. The Sleepover Pals are a trio of dolls, complete with a sleeping bag, ready to go to have a sleepover with a special little person. My first trio (not pictured) went to my sweet 5 year old niece. These are the other two sets that I have made - ready to go to their new homes:
One of the down sides of recycling is that if I am making something specific, I often don't have just the right fabric. I like to get the fabric and create from that, instead of going from someone else's design and trying to "make do" with something out of my scrap bag. Take for instance the sleeping bag (shown in front of the dolls on the previous picture). I ended up using a sleep shirt (cats) for the exterior. It wasn't my favorite. I'd rather have picked up a yard or so of a plaid fabric. Oh well - sometimes we don't get exactly what we want when we're working on a $0 budget, right? Right. I'm still digging in my stash for something big enough to make the last sleeping bag with.

I also made this sweet "Mermaiden".

I saw the pattern for it in the book and since I already had these fabric scraps, I thought it would be a great fit. I made her body from a darker pair of khaki pants from my stash.

Speaking of my stash, I have to give a huge THANK YOU to my friend who used to work at a fabric store (I won't mention which one, just hint that it starts with "Jo" and ends with "Ann"). She's supplied me with a ton of scraps, bits and pieces left over from her various projects. I love it. Thanks, chickie!

So here's the whole bundle of dolls (I know, the ladybug on olive green ribbon doesn't match the kitty cat sleeping bag, but it's with what I had. Hopefully the kiddos won't notice.)

I love that I can make something with my hands and give it to encourage someone else. Gifts aren't always purchased, you know? My confession: having something to give makes me feel rich!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'l have to check yours out too! Your kids are precious & I love their nicknames! Also I love this mermaid doll, so creative! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will totally make another set! I love them so much. I've been eyeing that mermaiden as well.
    Your's are lovely!

    ReplyDelete