Sunday, April 10, 2011

First Attempt at Seam Binding

I have been surfing the 'net looking for information on how to add seam binding to clothing. I've never done it before. I found a bunch of tutorials on making bias tape as well as how to sew it, so I decided it was time to give it a try. I found a pack of "quilt binding" (which I found out is just another name for 1-inch bias tape) at the thrift store for 40 cents, so that's what I used. I made a dress out of a womans skirt (a thrift store find, of course!), then added the binding around the neckline and armholes - I didn't have enough white thread (can you believe I ran out?!!!), so I used red. Then I made a detachable flower from felt, and presto! a cute little dress for Sunshine!

And it was made for $2.49 (plus tax, of course)!











Here's my Sunshine, ready for her day out. Obviously, not ready to have her picture taken, though...















And just so you don't think her face froze in that position...

Unfortunately it's not warm enough in Ohio to wear it yet, but she models pretty, doesn't she? (sorry about the fuzzy photos - my camera doesn't do well with indoor lighting.)

3 comments:

  1. Very cute upcycled dress! Sunshine will be adorable in it. I like the way you used the seam binding as straps and neckline; that really worked well, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, worked great! Next one I make it will be with a happier, brighter, more spring-y material, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! Jealous! I so wish I could sew!!!! I love homemade clothes, but there's just something about homemade dresses! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete